Regardless of whether you happen to work in the transportation sector, logistics niche, supply chain industry, or for a loss prevention organisation, it’s in your best interests to ensure that you’re sourcing a proper assortment of security seals to reinforce your daily operations:
- Security seals provide perceptible tamper evidence for a myriad of industries.
- Modernised security seals can help detect theft or contamination, irrespective of whether it is deliberate or accidental.
- They represent an inexpensive way to ensure logistical constancy and regulatory compliance.
- When properly implemented, security seals have been proven to increase accountability and decrease instances of theft.
However, with the countless options available in today’s marketplace, the onus is on you to ascertain your specific needs and establish a plan with your operations manager before purchasing a bulk order of plastic security seals.
Step One: Identify the Most Suitable Construct
If you’re tasked with securing a wide range of provisions such as trailers, cabinets, ballot boxes, sensitive evidence, in-transit valuables, or retail packages, just to name a few, you’ll have to take the time to determine the most appropriate style:
- Adjustable-length seals with sequential notches for augmented tightening
- Loop seals that adhere to a specific length (do not tighten fully)
- Tear-off seals that are removable by hand
- Wind-in seals with a stainless steel wire and rotating apparatus
- Metal locking seals with a fortified entrance hole
Depending on your scope of operations, you’ll want to select a widely applicable seal to account for all of your security needs.
Step Two: Pick the Proper Strength Rating
Next, it’s important to differentiate between logistical accuracy and high-end security with regard to the items that you’re trying to secure.
If you’re merely attempting to implement a plan to account for various shipments and record-keeping requirements, you can opt for a lower tensile strength, such as 6kg. These seals will be easier to remove by hand and you’ll be able to streamline your daily ops whilst maintaining a desirable level of security.
However, if you need to secure high-value items or sensitive supplies, it’s important to err on the side of caution by selecting a higher, more durable tensile strength, such as 30kg. These tough, hard-wearing seals will require a great deal of force to break and many of them actually necessitate the use of scissors or pliers to sever the strand.
Step Three: Work with a Reputable Supplier to Customise Your Seals
Last but certainly not least, you’ll have to establish a working relationship with a dependable supplier in order to properly label and organise your bulk order of security seals.
With a resourceful manufacturer by your side, you’ll be able to apply a wide range of organisational markers directly onto your assortment of seals:
- Business name
- Logos or insignia
- Tracking numbers
- Sequential numbers
- Scannable barcodes
- Colour coding
- Hot stamp printing or inkjet printing
If you adhere to this brief guide during your selection process, you’ll be able to purchase the ideal collection of plastic seals for your business and enhance your in-house logistics along the way.